Thread: Optics question
View Single Post

Old 03-21-2013, 09:08 PM

Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_vtec View Post
As others said, it depends on your "scope" or "optic". A non-maginifying red dot sight with riser should work fine with your stock iron sights, but it will make the stock sights useless. An EOTech holographic sight can be used with the MOE edition pull-up sights (or Mbus Gen 2) with sights up or down. When the sights are up, they perfectly co-witness with the dot sighted zero at 50 yards. When you use a 3X flip-to-side maginifier with a EOTech or just a stand alone magnifying dot sight, you will see a shadow of your sight as partial obstruction on the bottom 1/5-1/3 through the magnifying scope, but it will be mostly out of focus. I rarely pull the sights down with the EOtech alone, but pull them down for 3X maginifier. Using a stock sight, it obstuck even more and fairly difficult to use with 3X maginifier. You can use a riser for magnifying dot scopes, but that will make your iron sight (stock or pull up) completely useless.

For a rifle scope with maginification, stock iron sights rarely work without a tall riser for the scope. You can add a carrying handle and add the dot sight or scope on the top of handle, but it will make your AR quite heavy. Frankly, it depends on what you want to shoot and the purpose of your AR15-22 (plinker/trainer or survival/home-defense).
Thanks Go Vtec! This answer is what I was looking for. I think I want a new 15-22 for the range, but I wouldn't mind barely missing a few squirrels either I do love the Magpul pop up sights, and may get the basic model, and buy them seperate. I like the idea of the EOTech holographic option, so I am going to do some more research on them. Thanks again and kind regards. As always, appreciate the knowledge!