View Single Post

Old 03-23-2013, 09:46 PM

Liked 9,404 Times in 4,215 Posts

gunfan, you've seen my reports on "Project 616 - the gun S&W should have built but didn't." The brass problem is no more since StarLine made their production run of that very caliber, and of course bullet moulds abound. The only problem with reloading the 327 FM now is the one shared by all other pistols and revolvers, namely finding powder and primers.

To those who speculated on how one could get a mid-sized steel frame double action revolver in this caliber, yes Virginia there is a stainless K-frame! Like Billy Joel sang, "all it takes is looks and a whole lot of money..." Really, my looks aren't that great and it wasn't that expensive. You start with the Model 66 of your choice and buy a 617 cylinder (look for the older, round profile extractor) and the 617 barrel in the length of your choice. Then, the longest portion of the project will be your wait to have the barrel rebored (unless being in WA, gunfan you can get preferential treatment @ Clearwater? ) Once your barrel is back, take the whole package to a very dependable gunsmith with directions as to what you want, then step back and let him work. At the end of it all, you should be a happy camper... I know I certainly am!

Froggie
The Following 3 Users Like Post: