View Single Post

Old 03-23-2013, 11:48 PM

Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts

Thanks for the excellent comments! Just to clarify, I was referring only to a situation where a would-be intruder is attempting to forcibly enter the home through a locked door. The law in Texas is very clear on this issue, so my concern is only for whatever impact it might have on my personal safety to warn an unknown assailant who is still on the other side of the door. No warning is required in Texas in this situation, either before or after an individual forces their way into the residence. An individual attempting to force their way in can in fact be shot through the door, and the homeowner - according to law - will be held blameless if he believed his life was in danger. I would never shoot blind though, so my concern is only whether to attempt to warn such a person away before they enter, or wait for them to gain entry, and then shoot. Again, not a legal issue, just trying to sort out the best approach for myself beforehand.

FWIW, I was prompted to ask about this as a result of a 911 recording that I heard on YouTube earlier today. During the call, the Oklahoma homeowner waited patiently inside with the 911 operator on the line until the intruder broke down the door. Then he fired three shots. He is not expected to be charged, but I couldn't help wondering why he didn't attempt to warn the burglar away.

Thanks again for everyone's input!