View Single Post

Old 03-24-2013, 07:32 PM

Liked 8,584 Times in 2,782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffersonwasright View Post
I personally think that's an appropriate course of action. It's not a requirement in states like Texas, though, nor are homeowners typically charged for shooting an intruder, regardless of the intruder's identity, condition or motive. Still it seems that a verbal warning to someone attempting illegal entry could potentially save the homeowner a lot of trouble. The question is, why don't more homeowners do it? Why are there so many stories now of homeowners who wait quietly inside the house, then open fire when the intruder appears?
I would say that 99.9% of homeowners are not prepared for a home invasion, and are caught off guard. Being awoken in the middle of the night then finding a stranger in one's home is going to illicit an initial fear response, followed by a self defense response (be it fight or flight). Having the presence of mind to offer a verbal warning is a learned response from extensive situational practice and training.

As to "homeowners who wait quietly then open fire", I think this is either an unintentional misstatement/mischaracterization or a deliberate attempt to portray armed homeowners as stealthy gun nuts ready to kill. In respect to the OP, I'll err on the side of the former description. I have not read "so many stories", but I will say that the average person who is part of a home invasion is probably hiding or trying to be invisible, as the situation plays out. Homeowners may be barricaded in safe rooms, or merely adhering to the rule of "cover & concealment", while dialing 911. If the homeowner is forced to reveal himself and take a shot, so be it. That doesn't mean he was lying in wait, ready to pounce in a predatory manner.

Ultimately, a person will revert back to training or instinct in a life and death situation. Some folks practice verbal commands for developing defense skills, other practice shoot first ask questions later. Whatever ends the threat fastest and safest. To each his own.