View Single Post

Old 03-26-2013, 04:25 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,458 Times in 876 Posts
Default 357 sig

Began my career back in the early 70's when we carried 38 spl's & 357 magnums....retired in 08....was an officer/instructor/SWAT operator/armorer during that career....was in on the ground floor after 9-11 when several large federal agencies adopted the Sig 229 in 357 sig.
I have a lot of experience with the rd in both the Sig and Glock platforms. The round was designed from the ground up to emulate the 125 gr 357 magnum round in a compact pistol round. This it does admirably.
The traits that you attribute to it; muzzle blast, recoil , etc. were all factors in training officers to shoot it, particularly those who had never fired a handgun previously. We had the same issues with 357 magnum revolvers when issuing and training with them in the 70's and 80's.
The 357 sig is a great cartridge and has proven itself very well in the L.E. arena....as far as reloading...I have reloaded thousands of 357 sig's and never encountered any problems any different than non bottle necked rounds.
I have several Sig's and Glock's that I have replaced the 40 S&W barrels with the 357 sig barrels.....I was always a 357 magnum fan and still am and now I have high cap auto pistols that will deliver the same ballistic performance with 125 gr. bullets....doesn't get any better in my book.

Last edited by loc n load; 04-20-2013 at 10:30 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: