View Single Post

Old 03-27-2013, 01:47 AM
US Veteran

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffersonwasright View Post
OK, thanks. Last time I cleaned it - which was also the first time - I removed the slide and took out the recoil spring and barrel. I cleaned the barrel and slide really well, but the spring can't be cleaned with just a brush or cloth. Should I soak this part in solvent? What about the handle? It has a number of parts that can't be directly accessed without disassembly. Should it be soaked in something?
The spring can be cleaned with a brush or cloth. Just brush off any dust and wipe the spring and guide rod down with an oiled patch. Take a patch on the cleaning rod or a cotton swab with oil on it and lightly rub over the springs in the frame (handle as you call it). That's all that needs to be done unless you've droped it in a mudpuddle or gone scuba diving in the ocean. The oil is to prevent rust or corrosion. The oil attracts dust so it's good to rub off the dust and rub on some oil. Think of gun cleaning like an oil change for your car. When was the last time you soaked the inside of your engine in cleaning solution? As long as you change the oil regularly(wipe off the old oil and put on fresh with a patch) you are ready to start it up an go. If it sits for a long time, you still need to change the oil before you go on a trip.

If you want more info. Pm me and I'll give you my phone number and I can talk you through it. If I had a better video camera, I'd make a cleaning video but my camera only shoots 60 seconds at a time. I'm not on here everyday so it might take a few days for me to reply. You've done all you need to do for now. There is a thread on here somewhere in which a member posted a youtube video link of how to clean but you'll have to search for it. I think Hickock45 on youtube has a cleaning video as well. It doesn't matter if it is a glock or sig or SD video as the cleaning is the same. The only change is how to take it apart and you already know that. Hope this helps!

Last edited by a62rambler; 03-27-2013 at 02:07 AM. Reason: additional info