View Single Post

Old 03-30-2013, 08:55 PM

Liked 430 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP100man View Post
THE REAL PROBLEM.

Is it`s burn rate is at peak pressure as the base of the 110or125 jacketed bullets are near or even with the cyl./ barrel gap , resulting in accellerated flame cutting of the top strap & forcing cones eroded from the bashing .
Now that is interesting and could may well be the heart of the problem. It would explain the reason for picking the 125 grain bullet out of the pack. I recall years ago the flame cutting problems with the 357 Max and that Hornandy tested and found only two of their bullets to be a problem. Many of the other companies walked away from the cartridge but Hornandy tested it and determined that flame cutting was a problem only with certain bullets.

Thanks for the info and I now have to ask where did you get this information ?

Regards

addendum: Just re-read Rule3's ' advisory from Alliant ' and based on this information where they alert users to pressure problems including the 41 mag —— well this kind of cancels out the flame cutting theory. Flame cutting is not so much about contained pressure but intensity and length of burn and escaping pressure at the cylinder gap. This condition shelved the Ruger Blackhawks chambered for the 357 Max and relegated the cartridge to Contenders and Dan Wesson's for silhuette usage mostly. Why the 41 mag is in the mix I don't know. Right now I will just back out and wait to see if a real answer comes forward

Last edited by garbler; 03-30-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: addendum