View Single Post

Old 03-31-2013, 05:34 AM
Banned

Liked 192 Times in 140 Posts
Default Best range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffersonwasright View Post
I've been thinking a lot about this situation, and the issue of the sight being corrected now doesn't really address the bigger picture. The thing is, I haven't shot a gun without a scope in several years. My closeup vision has deteriorated significantly in that time, and I can no longer focus on mechanical sights without putting on reading glasses. I bought this gun for home defense though, and in an emergency, such as a noise in the middle of the night, glasses might not be an option. It seems that maybe I only have two possible solutions for this problem, given the overall context of how this gun will be used. The first would be to go to the range everyday for a month until I can hit the target accurately at 6-7 yards without using the sights. I have no difficulty focusing on the target itself. The second solution would be to install a laser sight, go to the range once, and leave the gun in the nightstand. Any advice on this?
Usually, the worst thing a new shooter can do is adjust the sight. Your vision and trigger control come first.

For self defense start really close. 10 or 15 feet is fine. (3 to 5 yards).
Use whatever glasses you can see your front sight clearest with. everything behind it including the target should be a bit blurry but identifiable.

Most self defense shooting for civilians is really close. People who attack others with knives and clubs are very close. Robbers in mini marts, and on the street stand only feet apart. When robbed on the street he is not going to be standing 7 yards away saying hand me your wallet, or toss me your wallet. Better to give what they want than draw against a gun that is already out.

In high crime areas one should carry an extra empty wallet to hand them or toss to them (street in front of them?).

In your house most rooms are 12 feet wide with furniture against the wall making distances closer. My circular walkway around and through living room and kitchen is about 23 feet center of walkway to center of walkway across living room and dining room.

Basically you want to keep all your bullets inside a silhouette target at 3 and eventually 7 yards. Cardboard boxes are nice but wood frames on a dirt hillside last longer.

Watch your front sight as you dry fire empty. Does it jump to left or right. Pull trigger a bit the other way to compensate and educate the finger and wrist muscles (find whatever works for you).

If you have someplace to shoot where you toss out an oil can ten feet you are better off. Need a hill or rise behind it when bullet ricochets up a bit. Or toss it in a gully.

Half the time raise gun up and shoot. Half the time raise it and do not shoot. You do not want a habit of always pulling the trigger once on target. It must be a conscience decision.