View Single Post

Old 03-31-2013, 02:11 PM

Liked 249 Times in 131 Posts
Default Ultrasonic gun cleaning

I wasn't sure were to post this but since it falls under maintenance this should be as good a place as any. I talked to the local gunsmith at an indoor range I belong to. They offer ultrasonic gun cleaning services there. I asked him about it because I have considered buying an inexpensive one since I shoot a lot of competition. He recommended trying the larger version Harbor Frieght has. He said he has one for his own personal use and as long as I seal the pan to keep the condensation out it will work just fine. He said he cleans his personal guns with it, a 1911 and a M&P.

So I got an email from Harbor Freight yesterday for 25% off so I couldn't resist picking one up. I got it for 57.99 + tax. I have been researching what cleaner to use. The gunsmith said he uses Greased Lightning mixed with water. I looked at the label on some and it damages aluminum so it's a no go so is purple power and Simple Green. I habe a 617-2 with the aluminum cylinder so I won't take any chance. The gun cleaning solutions are a little pricey for me anyway. I saw on another forum one guy uses dawn dish soap and hot water. I like the idea of that because I would not hesitate to change the fluid frequently because it would be cheap. The gunsmith said he followed the cleaning with a soak in WD 40 to get all the water out. I know I'll get varied answers but what has worked well for you guys?

Since I have it I will probably clean brass as well what cleaner works well for brass. Cheaper is better since I clean a lot of brass. Does anybody dry there brass in the oven at a low temp? I have heard that works well. Thanks for the help.