View Single Post

Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 PM

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

I started loading .357 with Blue Dot in 1990. The load books were all over the place back then. I had Sierra, Hornady and Speer. Sierra was hottest and Speer was the lightest. I was seeing some occasional pressure signs in the Sierra loads but I suspected the brass. One brand wasn't standing up and I was having extraction problems. I always loaded 140gr and up bullet weights, I still do. When the next generation of manuals came out my load was off in the kaboom stratoshere. That was when I started hearing horror stories about Blue Dot. I backed off into the range in the then current books and all the pressure signs went away. Go figure, huh? I haven't looked back and I trust today's manuals. I always blamed the lawyers and there may still be some truth in that. But facts is facts; my loads never show pressure problems, my milder Blue Dot loads are every bit as accurate, and my wrists don't throb painfully anymore. I was all about making nuclear loads when I was a pup. Now that I'm ole dog, getting the job done is what matters. If I can keep all my fingers and back off on the Ibuprofen that's good too.