View Single Post

Old 04-03-2013, 03:51 PM

Liked 348 Times in 203 Posts

Don't want to hi-jack OP's thread, but I think this is along the same subject line. I am actually looking at a possible plinking/target load for some 38 cast 110-gr. LSWC slugs. This will be 9-mil fired from a Smith model 940. I have a lot of Red Dot and have found some Alliant data that list a Red Dot charge of 4.5 grains under a 115-gr. FMJ OAL 1.12 and 5.3-gr. under a 95-gr. FMJ OAL 1.055. Do either of these look like "dangerous loads"? My FCD will size the rounds and I have measured loaded round dimensions, which fall into SAMMI specifications. The FCD sizes the entire round.

I am wondering how Smith can take a J-Frame cylinder the same size as a 38-special and almost double the pressure. The pressure listed on the above loads is 32,400 and about the same for all 9-mil loading data I've seen. 38-special pressures are listed at around 15,000. 32,400 is right there with 357-mag pressures.

This may be more like.... I am afraid to shoot the gun question as opposed to a I am afraid to shoot this particular load question.

I am only musing at the moment, but was wanting to work up some loads before the gun gets here....it's in the mail.