View Single Post

Old 04-14-2013, 03:01 AM

Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts
Default Update

First, thanks for all the good advice. Here's what's happened since last time...

I double-checked the rear sight with calipers, and it's exactly centered on the slide now. Back at the range, accuracy is better, but still not good. I'm shooting targets at 4-5 yds, and the grouping is about 8 inches low and 6-8 inches to the left. It's reasonably consistent, and the group is smaller than my first time out, probably about 4 inches when I take my time. Because of the accuracy issue, I decided to buy a laser boresight. It arrived today, and the results confirm that the sights are dead on.

The question now is why can't I hit the center of the target? I've dry fired enough to think I'm not pulling the gun down or to the left. Also, the last time at the range, I used two different types of ammo. I'll add that I'm accurate with long guns and smaller caliber pistols, and I understand concepts like trigger control.

Is there any possibility this is the gun itself? Is there anything else I should check to be sure something isn't amiss mechanically? I don't mind spending money to practice, but I can't afford to waste ammo if the fault is in the gun. Next time I'm at the range, I'll ask someone else to fire it. If they get similar results, I guess it'll go back to S&W.