View Single Post

Old 04-19-2013, 09:17 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

DWalt ... thank you!

Here is what I think I have found out ...

United States Property mark was shortened to "U.S. Property" at serial number V300000. At this time the G.H.D. acceptance mark was moved from the butt to the left top strap. (where it is on my gun) Everything looks proper here.

The G.H.D. is an acceptance mark of Ordinance Officer Guy H Drewry and was placed on guns from 1942 till May 1943. (so a shipping date of early 1944 would make sense)

After 1942 the checkered grips were changed to smooth walnut. My gun has what appears to be the original smooth walnut grips, so everything seems to add up here as well.

After V400000 some Victory models delivered under an Army contract can be found with the P mark that my 38. Special has. ... 352,000 .38 Specials were shipped to the Army and Navy, so again, everything seems to add up.

So I guess my gun was made some time between 1942 to May 1943. And was shipped out in early 1944 to the U.S. Army.

IS there any way for me to find out anything more about this particular gun? If I were to pay Smith & Wesson $50 or is there any book or source that could help me more?