View Single Post

Old 04-21-2013, 01:34 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,739 Times in 2,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westkybanded View Post
What's the real scoop? I've heard tell that a few brands will even extract properly. Would there be a ballistic advantage to the super over a +P load in 38 Special? Is a 642 going to fly apart doing this?
There are apparently a huge number of people on this forum who, for whatever reason, buy a gun in one caliber and then want to shoot other calibers through that gun.

I see this all the time with M&Ps. The questions just keep coming: Can I shoot 9mm in my .40, can I shoot .40 in my 9mm, etc., etc.

Why someone would want to spend hundreds of gunsmith dollars to convert a revolver to a cartridge for which the revolver is unsuitable is beyond me. Besides the fact that the revolver is worth ZERO after such a conversion, the cost of 38 Super ammo is ridiculous.

Why not just buy a gun for the caliber you want? If you want a Super, get one in its original home: the Colt Government Model. They are a joy to shoot. The Commander takes up no more space than a small revolver and is FAR more pleasant to shoot.

This is a bad idea for so many reasons that it is hard to know where to begin.

But hey, if you want to ruin a fine revolver and risk property damage and personal injury, I am ok with that as long as no one else gets hurt. That means, don't have anyone else near you so that no one besides you gets hurt when the whole thing comes apart suddenly and without warning. By the way, it may not happen on the first round. That will be the exciting part - never knowing WHEN.

Don't do it. If you insist on thinking about it, then think about this: bits of steel and aluminum shards implanting themselves in your eyes and body, living the rest of your life blind and without the use of your hands and perhaps other organs.

Does that appeal to you?
The Following 2 Users Like Post: