Thread: Traffic Stop
View Single Post

Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 PM

Liked 541 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandle View Post
Driving down town this morning on my way to the range, a traffic light turned yellow as i was just about under it. I went on through it and a state trooper lit me up. When i handed him my D.L. & Reg, i also handed him my cc permit. He asked if i had my firearm on me and i told him yes, its on my hip. He then asked if i would lay it on the passenger seat?? wth. I had kept my hands on the steering wheel the whole time. Then he asked if his partner could open the door and get my firearm. I guess i should have said no. His partner then took my gun, and they both went back to their cruzer for about ten min. Came back, gave me a warning ticket and the other trooper opened the pass. door and just threw my gun back on the seat. wth???? I need to read some more on WV. carry laws.
Other than "throwing" your gun onto the passenger seat what's the issue? It took 10 minutes of your time and you were cut loose with a warning. Yes, I agree throwing the gun is a bit rude, not to mention poor gun handling.

A traffic stop is a lawful detention and a LEO has the authority to secure any weapons for the duration of the encounter. The Trooper was being polite by asking instead of telling.

On a personal note, I tend to leave guns were they are on stops depending on the circumstances. However, I know many officers that will run the serial number of all guns they encounter through NCIC to confirm its not stolen.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk