Thread: Traffic Stop
View Single Post

Old 04-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Banned

Liked 381 Times in 216 Posts

Quote:
A traffic stop is a lawful detention and a LEO has the authority to secure any weapons for the duration of the encounter. The Trooper was being polite by asking instead of telling.

Does TX law state that legally-carried guns can be seized? If not, under what authority can you seize a legally-carried gun on a traffic stop without any reasonable suspicion to believe the carrier is dangerous? I only ask because in my state, the statute does not say anything about the police being allowed to seize a legally-carried gun on a traffic stop that has nothing to do with the guy being dangerous.

Quote:
I'm all for anything that keeps the officer safe and happy. They have a tough job.

And therefore, why tell him I have a gun? It's CONCEALED. He isn't going to see it.
It's not for the officers' safety, it's for yours. Some legal gun carriers forget they're carrying a gun and then reach for their wallet right where their gun is. The law requiring you to announce is so that the police officer doesn't have to do a bunch more paperwork on a simple traffic stop after he drills you when he thought you were going for a gun.

Last edited by MaximumLawman; 04-23-2013 at 05:29 PM.