Thread: Traffic Stop
View Single Post

Old 04-23-2013, 09:53 PM

Liked 541 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumLawman View Post
Does TX law state that legally-carried guns can be seized? If not, under what authority can you seize a legally-carried gun on a traffic stop without any reasonable suspicion to believe the carrier is dangerous? I only ask because in my state, the statute does not say anything about the police being allowed to seize a legally-carried gun on a traffic stop that has nothing to do with the guy being dangerous.
I do not know, sir. The incident in the OP happened in WV and I can only speak for law and procedure here in WV. I, however, don't think you'll find such a statement in any state statute. The weapon would be secured under the guise of officer safety.

Remember, you know you're a good guy, but the officer making the traffic stop doesn't. A valid CCW isn't an automatic "good guy card" either. I've arrested more than a few people for crimes they committed while carrying on a valid CCW.

He above is not to say that I do or agree with taking every legally carried weapon on a traffic stop. Just trying to offer a little insight.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk