View Single Post

Old 04-24-2013, 05:43 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman86 View Post
Yes it will handle +P with no problem.

Just my opinion, and worth what you paid for it but since the gun is relatively rare, I would stick with standard .38 for range use, and then maybe a few +P's here and there.......and then keep it loaded with +P for defense. Not that it can't "handle" +P, but hotter ammo will add more "stress" to the gun over time,more forcing cone erosion, more endshake, etc. but I honestly doubt it would matter much unless you fire many 1,000's of rounds of +P through it.

If you are not a collector, you could sell that early 64 for a decent profit, get a later Model 64 Heavy Barrel and have some change left over for ammo and then some. Decent used 64's are about $200-300 for a security trade in, maybe $400 for a nicer one.......the early 64's can go for upwards of $500-600.....Lots of S&W collectors would be glad to have that early 64, and many are probably secretly cringing at the idea of one being used as a shooter. I would say load it with .38's and fire away, if you take care of it, it will last forever.
I am new to S&W... and I have a few questions if someone can help me, I have read with interest this thread and I would so appreciate input as things have changed in the past few years and it is now 2013... I just purchased my first gun in 30 years, a S&W 38 special CTG, for personal protection. There is stamped model 64 on one side, with the numbers 99577 and under this looks like an 18 and a sideways s, on the other. On the butt is stamped D525XXX,. It is stainless steel, tapered 4" barrel, seems to be well taken care of with a few nicks here and there, wood handles, square butt with inlaid S&W. Can anyone share what the estimated manufactured date is, the cost of buying one in today's market, and the best ammo for both target and self protection. I have researched alot, but would appreciate your wisdom. I just paid $425 and I am not sure if I got a good price or not, hoping I did. I have attached pictures. Also, I live in a county in CA where I can have ammo shipped to me, but have had no luck in finding any in stock or a manufacturer where they will ship into CA. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks Trish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38pic1.jpg (37.1 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 38 pic 2.jpg (43.9 KB, 115 views)
The Following User Likes This Post: