View Single Post

Old 04-24-2013, 07:57 AM

Liked 18,990 Times in 9,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgrl57 View Post
I am new to S&W... and I have a few questions if someone can help me, I have read with interest this thread and I would so appreciate input as things have changed in the past few years and it is now 2013... I just purchased my first gun in 30 years, a S&W 38 special CTG, for personal protection. There is stamped model 64 on one side, with the numbers 99577 and under this looks like an 18 and a sideways s, on the other. On the butt is stamped D525XXX,. It is stainless steel, tapered 4" barrel, seems to be well taken care of with a few nicks here and there, wood handles, square butt with inlaid S&W. Can anyone share what the estimated manufactured date is, the cost of buying one in today's market, and the best ammo for both target and self protection. I have researched alot, but would appreciate your wisdom. I just paid $425 and I am not sure if I got a good price or not, hoping I did. I have attached pictures. Also, I live in a county in CA where I can have ammo shipped to me, but have had no luck in finding any in stock or a manufacturer where they will ship into CA. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks Trish
Welcome! Your model 64 is likely from 1973, from the D prefix and number. The other stampings are factory internal codes of various kinds. It is one of the best choices you could have made for a defensive handgun for size/weight, ease of use and adequate power. You got it at a fair price in the current market.

For practice most recommend a 148 grain wadcutter, usually loaded light as it is intended for target use. If you find you are recoil-sensitive, it is also not a bad defense load; there are more powerful ones but you need to be confident that you'll hit your target if necessary. The standard police service load was the 158 grain round-nose lead, but more effective loads in this weight called semi-wadcutters are available. Lastly, there are higher powered loads called +P (for increased pressure); a good one here is the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr but there are many others.

Unfortunately, as you've seen ammo of any kind is very hard to find now. You can watch Midway USA and Brownell's for availability, among other companies. Here is a link to some for sale (this is more defensive than practice ammo):

AMMOMAN.com. 38 Special

Hope this is helpful.
The Following User Likes This Post: