View Single Post

Old 04-24-2013, 11:55 PM

Liked 1,025 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagrips View Post
Sorry I kinda just skimmed the thread, but have you tried cold casting with aluminum powder?
I am generally aware that there is such a process. My materials supplier has epoxies and aluminum powder to do cold metallic casting, but it requires dedicating a mold to the process and the cure time is 24 hours. In addition, their overview of the process has as its first step "brush a 0.25 inch coating on the inside of this mold . . . " Since my adapters are 0.25" thick only where the "upper" clip is molded, and thinner to much-thinner everywhere else, I have not given serious thought to trying it.

I am exploring small injection molding systems, which would offer a much wider array of colors than I can make with my current materials and dyes, and much faster production than my current pour-two-at-a-time system, but so far I have not found an equipment setup that makes economic sense. (To use "regular' injection molding companies, the cost of the dies is prohibitive for the volume of adapters I sell.)

Thanks for the thought, though.