View Single Post

Old 04-28-2013, 05:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had the same thing happen to my Shield 40.

Outer recoil spring came off the guide rod.

I hadn't even shot the gun yet. Just disassembled it after bringing it home from the local FFL.

After the recoil spring broke, I was a bit disappointed. This gun has never been shot. Brand new, just out of the box.

So, my initial impressions are mixed. I think I'm going to really like the trigger feel. The size, style, and overall feel of the gun is just what I was hoping for after reading many reviews.

BUT, the slide release is very very stiff. I mean so stiff I can't drop it with my thumb. I have stong hands. I'm talking "REALLY? They shouldn't let them out of the factory like this stiff." I realize this should remedy itself after breaking in. S&W claims this is due to the melonite coating on the slide. I see on youtube some guys recommend polishing the slide release tab edge with 1000 grit sand paper.

I will say, S&W customer service was very nice to deal with. I told them my recoil spring / guide rod assembly broke. They asked for my address and are sending me out a new one. They estimate 1.5 weeks to arrive?

Last edited by d7velo1; 04-28-2013 at 05:10 PM.