View Single Post

Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 AM

Liked 516 Times in 64 Posts
Default S&W 640 Pro Series - The Ultimate Snubnose

I am really impressed with the 640 Pro Series J-frame .357 Magnum snub nose! All stainless steel with the 2 1/8" fluted barrel and covered ejector rod. The little angled area under the muzzle with the lightening flutes just gives this little double action a "one of kind" look.

The ejector rod is long enough to really kick out the empty cases too.

I think the ultimate snubnose has to be chambered for the .357 Magnum and of course it shoots .38 Specials as well. Very unique about this revolver is that the rear of the cylinder is cut to accept full moon clips. In the hard plastic case are three 5-shot full moon clips so you can drop all five rounds in at the same time, no speedloader needed to toss away after a reload. Pretty slick! The gun still loads just as well with speedloaders (I have two Safariland speedloaders and two metal Blackhawk belt holders for them) or with speed strips (I have two of those as well).

The S&W logo rubber grip is perfectly contoured for a full grip and firing hot .357s is no problem with this awesome grip. It's a little big for pocket carry, but it's perfect in the Italian leather Blackhawk hip holster that keeps it up high and tight. This holster has an elastic band at the front to keep the gun super secure, while still allowing a very fast draw. A Blackhawk "inside the pants" rough out leather holster works great too and this one features the belt clips so a shirt can be tucked in over the gun.

I also have a pair of Crimson Trace lasergrips for it. They're smaller than the factory grip and they cushion recoil just as well as the factory grip.

Of course, the big thing about this Pro Series (as laser etched in script on the right side of the frame) is the Trijicon night sights! Big, bold, no-snag night sights on a J-frame! They're just what the little snubbies have always needed! The sights are fantastic! They're so easy to see night or day!

S&W designed this revolver as a fighting gun, so the double action trigger is smooth with that classic S&W feel. It's not a super tuned, too light trigger. Instead, it is designed to go off 100% guaranteed, no matter what kind of primers you've got in your cartridges.

And there's that one last item that truly makes this ultimate modern day snubby so desirable...NO INTERNAL LOCK! There's no ugly keyhole above the angled cylinder release latch!

S&W sure did this Model 640 right!
The Following 40 Users Like Post: