View Single Post

Old 05-05-2013, 08:43 PM

Liked 6,562 Times in 2,597 Posts

The Scamp/Duster the same behind the grill and badge. You could get a slant 6, 318 or 340. The 360 was used in trucks and large body Chrysler products after they dropped the big blocks, 383 and 440.

The 318/340/360 were not exactly the same block, The 340 had a shorter block height, it was made with a shorter stroke to REV quicker. Heads were interchangeable and one hot rod trick was to get a set of 360 truck heads made for a few years that had the largest valves one could get and put them on your 340 for even faster Revs. I have 1st hand experience with this one in my Cuda.

I don't remember anyone having breakdown issues unless they had abused something or missed a shift.

Best story from the old days on a Duster, every area has many guys who can buy or get a car to perform better than factory, but there is always one guy who can tear down, rebuild and make his much more superior than any other car. Two brothers owned a garage, one was a master wrench guy. His Duster, I think it was a 79 or 80, was the fastest car in that part of the planet. One day a fella with a rusty 55 Chevy pulled into a gas station, younger set a gas station was a place where folks worked in a garage, changed oil, talked hot rods etc. and hot rodders might hang out talking about hot rods. This out of town guy with the 55 asked if there was anyone in town who might run for money or pink slips, he was broke and had to take a chance or leave it all parked on the road. He fired it up and it sounded sicker than sick.

One guy called King Duster and said I have some easy money for you, explained it and they agreed to meet at the 1/4 mile, a long straight stretch on old Route 66. Some guys painted the lines on a regular basis so traffic wouldn't wear them off.

They met and a few hundred dollars were bet by each, one fella held the money. Mr 55 Chevy backed the sick car off the trailer, lifted the hood and put 2 spark plug wires back on the plugs. I will tell you that a built for the races 427 Chevy blows a built 340 away so bad that King Duster did not want to go double or nothing for a 2nd race. King Duster then proceeded to chew on his buddy who found the sucker in the 55. The rest of us got a huge laugh.

If it's a 360 it's about 99.99% not right. It needed to be a 318 and most were or a 340 for the V8.