View Single Post

Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50,498 Times in 6,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
John-

Very well done. If you have the DVD of, "The Guns of Navarone", look for the M-34 (?) .32 carried by the German officer whose troops captured the British sabotage team.
(Of course, they escaped.) It's the only film appearance that I recall for these pistols.

I'm quite sure that I was the only kid in my high school class to spot that little Mauser for what it was when the movie first appeared.

Why was the 1930's price so low? Wasn't the Colt .32 quite a bit more expensive? I think a new Govt. Model .45 sold for $36.75 then, if I recall an old catalog correctly. Don't know their price for the .32.

Do you have a photo of the other side of the gun?
Tex,

I do have a DVD of the Guns of Navarone - I'll have to look for that scene when I have time. The comment I made about squirt guns at the start of the article comes from personal experience as a kid in the early '50s - I had a transparent lime green plastic squirt pistol that was a pretty perfect rendition of the Mauser single action pocket pistol. I recall buying it at the neighborhood hardware store for not much coin.

The price in 1939 was probably low because Mauser was liquidating its inventory of a soon to be obsolete gun - the HSc was introduced and sold the next year.

And yes, I do have a pic of the other side! Not quite as photogenic as the right side, probably due to holster wear. Most holster guns seem to wear more on the side closest to the body. Only one pic can be shown for the Blue Press articles.

John