View Single Post

Old 05-07-2013, 11:13 AM

Liked 29,114 Times in 14,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARETRob View Post
Your correct of course: butt, barrel and cylinder are marked 696479. The number I accidently gave was an assembly number from the crane. I was guessing at first WW2 Lend-Lease due to caliber/Loop Swivel but it has no markings showing this as I've seen in the past. Perhaps Police use? No idea. Hoping the date will point me in the right direction.
That one would likely have shipped in August-September 1940, which was pre-Lend Lease, so it would not have the typical United States (or U.S.) Property stamped marking on the top strap. In fact, having no military markings would be possible, if not likely, at that time. Yours is a pre-Victory .38/200 for British service with incorrect earlier grips. The correct grips would be checkered wood with diamond center and S&W medallions. Is the finish Parkerized or blued? Blued would be correct, but the picture does not seem to indicate bluing, so it could have been refinished at some time. Can you determine if the chambers have been bored out to accept .38 Special cartridges?

Last edited by DWalt; 05-07-2013 at 11:16 AM.