View Single Post

Old 05-11-2013, 11:12 PM

Liked 5,415 Times in 2,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEBELLYYANKEE View Post
Many of you bring up the price as a issue but I whole-heartedly disagree. If people will pay $1200 to $1400 for all steel 1911’s then I bet they would pay $1000 for a modern 3rd gen. I bet that the average gun buyer has more disposable income to spend on guns today than they did back in 1990 ................
What are your ideas?
I doubt in todays economy that most people have more disposable income. Moreover, todays economy isn't that of 1990. Given the economy and the zeitgeist, what's selling are combat guns, not pride of ownership items. I've carried and taught both for decades and the M&P series is a better combat gun than the 3rd generation pistols. While I greatly admire JMBs masterpiece and truly believe that most don't really grasp what he achieved when he did the 1911 (which I carried for 19 years), I also believe it's an inferior weapon to the modern product. Please note my choice of term: weapon. If you want a fetish or artifact, it's your money.

S&W will build metal frame guns with sufficient orders. If the big distributors feel there's a market, they'll place orders. The resounding silence and lack of product indicates they don't see a market. No market, no product.

BTW, all the design and development work to produce your dreams costs money. Should you feel moved to endow S&W to do development work with reimbursement once tooling and lost production of current products are recovered, feel free. I'm not really trying to belittle you, simply to point out economic reality.

Last edited by WR Moore; 05-11-2013 at 11:24 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: