View Single Post

Old 05-12-2013, 04:05 PM

Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts

OK, I went to the range today and tried again. My plans changed a little though, because I've decided over the last few days that it's more worthwhile to practice point shooting. Given the current restrictions on my ammo supplies, that limited my sight-shooting to roughly 20 rounds, more resembling a quick test than a practice session. Anyway, here's what happened...

The first ten rounds or so produced a pattern at 7 yds *exactly* like the last trip to the range - about 6" low and 6" left. I'm absolutely certain now that I'm not pulling the gun, and it occurred to me that maybe this is a recoil issue, something happening *after* the trigger is fully pressed. With that in mind, I exerted more pressure to create a stronger push-pull isometric grip. Waddya know, the next two rounds were only an inch off the center, still left, but near perfect elevation. The rest of the mag followed suit more or less, enough to convince me that I'm somehow allowing the recoil to pull the barrel down and to the left. Of course, I can see the barrel recoil up, so I don't know how that's even possible. I'm content to leave it at this for now, though. It is what it is, and I don't think there's anything wrong with the gun.

On a better note, my point shooting with the sights covered with tape went really well. At 7 yds I can hit the body (about 2/3 scale) every time when I pull the gun up quickly and shoot. It's a large grouping, but good enough to meet my requirements for home defense. I also had good success sighting in a new 4X scope on my Ruger 10-22. I can cut a 3-4" circle at 75 yds with no artificial support. That's more than good enough for squirrel stew when SHTF.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!