View Single Post

Old 05-13-2013, 08:46 PM

Liked 351 Times in 89 Posts

I started this thread with idea of hearing some of your ideas about what should be incorporated in a new 3rd gen design in order for it to sell to the current market. Surprisingly few ideas to add so far.

So on to the profit argument. I am surprised that much is being made about it not being "profitable". No way around the fact that other manufacturers are selling metal frame guns and are doing it well. I truly believe that the recent popularity of the 1911 has to do with it's appeal to a market that wants an all metal gun. "The public cannot afford to pay $1000 for a new re-designed 3rd gen"? Huh? I watch used 3rd gens sell every week on gunbroker for $800 to $1000. Beat up police trade 5906's selling like hot cakes for $500 all day long should be proof enough that there is market for a redesigned gun. The gun buying public is much larger and richer today than it was 25 years ago and it shows when I walk into a gun store and look at the various models that are available. It seems there is a gun to fill every niche. If you have any doubt about the disposable income people have to throw at guns one only has to look at the accessories and cr*p that people put on their AR-15's. There is no doubt that people are buying guns that they want but will never need. Who needs a $1400 kimber when a $700 Springfield Armory Range Officer is just as good? Who needs a $1300 S&W "E" series with a rail and melonite finish when the $800 stainless without a rail model is just as good. Or how about a Performance Center gun for twice the price as stock- Oh, that's right we don't have to worry about S&W making such a small production run of guns anymore since they cannot make a profit doing it and besides everybody is buying the profitable M&P and will never treat themselves to something special like a Performace Center model ever again.

I think this boils down to market share. Right now there is a existing market for metal frame guns, the evidence is in your gun dealer's gun case, the question is could a modern S&W alternative to the Sigs, Brownings, Berettas, Rugers, CZs, or whatever, sell? I bet it could if it was different and sexy enough.

Last edited by BLUEBELLYYANKEE; 05-13-2013 at 10:11 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: