View Single Post

Old 05-15-2013, 03:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2nd S&W in the safe - new to me 686. Insights?

I've been looking in the (almost empty) new and used cases at local gun shops for a decent 4 or 6 inch revolver in .357/38 for target work, for the last six+ months or so now.

Monday I finally found a clean, low-mileage stainless S&W 686-1, pre-safety lock, 2 piece wood grip, 6 inch barrel and an exposed and grooved backstrap, with what seemed to me an odd serial number, AY200XX. I can't find anything online that dates the production year of the gun?

I know the newer models have the Hogue rubber monogrip, so I'm assuming this one is a little "older". A lady brought it in the day before I found it, classic; "this was my husbands gun and I don't know what to do with it now ..." story.

The double action pull is pretty stiff (not fired much), but I can fix that with a some snap cap dry firing, maybe a trigger job and some help from the fine people at Wolff (who I just found out are backed up on production, like everyone else in the industry!).

It's only the second S&W for me. Any way of determining the year of manufacture? Anything I should be aware of or look out for?