View Single Post

Old 05-16-2013, 08:24 AM

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcruisen67 View Post
OK after further talking with the rep at Smith it has come to light that the information I had been given was incorrect. The barrel does in fact have a 1:18.75 or as stated by Paul G 1:18 and 3/4 and all new models come with a 1:10. So my question is are the aftermarket ie Storm Lake barrels a good enough upgrade over factory to justify getting one?
It depends on what kind of “upgrade” your looking for.

When I first got my M&P9L, (early 2010) it barely averaged a 4” group @ 25 yards with 147 gr. ammo. The S&W CS rep I spoke to said that was the standard and their was nothing they would do. At the 2012 area 8 match (maybe 15K rounds later) it would only keep a 5-6” 25 yard group but the velocity fell off over 100 f.p.s. I ended up going sub minor (Power Factor) on chrono stage and shot the match for no score.

When I got home from the match, I sent it back with a test target and letter and they replaced the barrel with one that had a noticeably different breach block and even slower rifling twist. (1-24” I was told) That barrel chronoed slightly faster and accuracy at 25 yards was 4-5” but at 50 yards it would keyhole a shotgun pattern. Called S&W to send it back again but the CS rep I spoke to said it was “within spec” and try lighter weight bullets.

I got tired of waiting for the Bar-Sto and KKM gunsmith fit barrels and when Storm lake drop in barrels showed up at Midway last winter, I grabbed one. Glad I did! Now the gun shoots 2.5-3” at 25 yards and 5-6” @ 50 yards.
Velocity is also back up to normal as well.
147 gr. FMJ ammo used at the 2012 Area 8 match:
Original barrel- 820 f.p.s. (just before I sent it back)
New S&W barrel- 860 f.p.s.
Storm lake barrel- 950 f.p.s.

So, like I said, it all depends on what kind of upgrade your looking for. For me, who only uses the M&P for USPSA matches, it was a huge upgrade. For you…only you can answer that.

Jeff
The Following User Likes This Post: