View Single Post

Old 05-24-2013, 09:46 AM

Liked 656 Times in 307 Posts

The 1963 loss of the larger & newer class SSN, the USS Thresher, SSN-593, was determined to be two-fold - a thru hull fitting and a ballast tank connection weld failure. The USN started programs 'Level One' and 'SubSafe' to retrofit and test, generating lots of documentation, improvements to the sub fleet. Sadly, the USS Scorpion, SSN-589, didn't get many of them - budget cut backs - and was thus limited to relatively shallow depths (Reportedly 300 ft.). She was faster than the then Thresher class, now known as the Permit class, the latter being longer and having the same reactor. Later models had SONAR in their nose, moving the 'forward' torpedo rooms nearly amidship

I recall my days in the USN actually quite fondly. The years on USS Fulton, AS-11, in New London were interesting, as were the last six or so months in LaMadelina, Italy, when I took a temporary assignment to the USS Skylark, ASR-20, a sub rescue ship that participated in the hunt for Thresher and Scorpion. Why? We went to Naples... I got to see Naples, Pompeii, and Rome! As a 'tender' sailor, and having to sleep near the bow - on the deck (Below deck, of course!) - I was bruised a bit by the rough ride in weather. Still, I never got seasick. I will admit to feelings of claustraphobia the little I had to work on the fast attacks, however. My admiration went, no, still goes out to submariners, a special brave breed of sailors!

John