Thread: S&W Model 659
View Single Post

Old 05-25-2013, 03:03 AM

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
Hello to everyone. I have been a visitor here for a while. This is my first post. I own several S&W revolvers, but until now no semi's. I picked up a model 659 Sunday afternoon. Serial number TAAXXXX. This will be a project gun for this winter. It is already headed back to S&W on a recall I found that relates to a fix to the decocker. S&W mailed out a mailing label today. The slide has a few gouge marks around the slide stop pin, that the previous owner put on the slide. I tried to remove the slide stop pin, and have been unsuccessful so far. This one seems to be stuck. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to remove this thing? I am going to have to do some sanding on the stainless slide to get the gouge marks out. I have never done this before, and could use some guidance should anyone know how to remove gouge marks, and would share their knowledge with me. If anyone else has much expereience with the model 659 I would love to hear from them.
My 659 had scratches on the side of the slide and I "erased" them with very fine sandpaper being careful to keep it dead flat by using a piece of smooth hardwood to act as a sanding block. Work carefully and with the grain of the metal. I gave the sides of the slide a uniform, light sanding--enough to get the scratches out and no more. Then I chucked up a buffing wheel in my Dremel tool and slicked up the slab-sided slide using red rouge buffing compound. The result was excellent. Luckily the top of the slide's sand blasted finish was clean and it looks good in contrast with the buffed sides.

My 659 also had a crunched lanyard ring just behind the mag well. I couldn't straighten it out without some seriously heavy hammering and impact shaping, so I evened it up using a very fine cylindrical grinding head in the Dremel tool, taking off just enough metal from the inside diameter to reshape and even out the ring, keeping it looking stock. I was very happy with the results.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: