Thread: Thumb safety
View Single Post

Old 05-28-2013, 10:03 AM

Liked 395 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffmar77 View Post
I'm going to purchase a M&P .40 Compact in the very near future. This will be my first handgun, I've fired many but never owned one. Everything instilled in me tells me to get the one with the thumb safety. Every gun I've ever owned has had a manual safety and every handgun I've ever fired has had one. I'm just not sure how I safe I will feel if I don't get that option.

Will I notice the saftey sticking into me if I carry on the waist at five o' clock?

Non thumb safety models are ready to fire once the round is in the chamber, correct? What prevents accidental firing? What prevents someone from unknowingly firing it" God forbid if my 5 year ever got a hold of it... (yes, it will be in a bedside safe with ammo close by in another secure device.)

...I just don't want to regret my choice, and non of the shops around here carry a thumb safety model.
A good holster that covers the entire trigger is a safety.

Good meaning the material is ridged enough that you cannot make contact with the trigger while holstered.

Desantis is my favorite but there are plenty of good quality holsters.

The Shield thumb safety has grown on me.

I would recommend if you go with a thumb safety you acquire thumb safeties for all future gun purchases and you train sweeping trigger when you draw weapon. (Make sure weapon is empty)

I know some complained about the Shield safety but honestly if you practice sweeping it is no big deal and the safety is in the right place at the joint of the thumb. In all my practicing I have never missed sweeping safety.

Russ
The Following User Likes This Post: