View Single Post

Old 06-02-2013, 11:41 AM

Liked 4,294 Times in 2,106 Posts

Generally there isn't any harm caused to the weapon when the next sub caliber is fired in it, AS LONG AS THE EMPTY CASING IS EJECTED. However, when that split casing is left in the chamber a fresh round can push that empty casing down the barrel and cause all sorts of problems. As can be seen in this particular case.

I'll also note that the shooter should have noticed the reduced recoil and excess debris. Every report I've read on the net about someone making this mistake has a note by the shooter that he got peppered in the face by the blowback of hot particles.

Good news is that it was done in a 1911, so there is a high potential that the gun can be repaired simply by replacing the barrel and barrel bushing. Bad news is that this particular model has one of those infernal full length guide rods, so it's going to take getting the slide back in battery somehow to get the barrel bushing out of the slide. If that isn't possible the next stop will be at an EDM Machine Shop to remove the barrel bushing and probably the end of the guide rod and barrel via electronic machining. Offhand I'd say that infernal full length guide rod is going to cost the shooter in the region of 300 bucks for the EDM work and he'll have another 250 into the gun replacing the barrel, bushing, and guide rod.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of full length guide rods in a 1911. They are a needless complication in a brilliant design and totally eliminate the ability to "rack" the slide by pressing the spring plug against a handy edge.
The Following User Likes This Post: