View Single Post

Old 06-02-2013, 11:44 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,728 Times in 2,620 Posts

I have tested both. The Shield would be the one to stay around. Here are a few observations:

For all practical purposes, they are the same size.

S&W has a more durable finish.

The S&W trigger is better. This is subjective, but I prefer the shorter lighter trigger of a Glock/M&P rather than the looooooong DA stroke of a Kel-Tec.

Subjectively, the LC9 seems like a "cheapie," an upsized LCP .380, the LCP being, admittedly a top tier Kel-Tec. The M&P seems more "professional grade," and reminds me more of the Walther PPS.

I do not care for the magazine disconnect on the Ruger. Removal of the offending device would be a big chore. (There are some rather poorly done videos out there, but at most, they give you an idea of what you are supposed to do, you cannot see what is being done at some critical stages, and I got the feeling that the maker of the video was sort of "making it up as he went along" or "learning how to do it at the expense of his pistol"). The Shield, fortunately, does not have this feature.

I don't care much for thumb safeties on this type of pistol, and neither seemed to work its way to the "on" position.

I also do not like the key lock on the LC9.

Shield has, to my eyes, superior sights.

Shield has stainless magazines, which seem like a better idea for a deep cover type of pistol which might be exposed to more perspiration.

As far as shooting, I prefer the Shield, with its M&P type trigger, as opposed to the LC9, with its long, Kel-Tec type trigger. My wife and adult daughter found the Shield remarkably easier to shoot accurately than the LC9 because of the shorter and lighter M&P trigger. Re-set is not important to me as I do not "stage" or "prep" any trigger. I am old, and still shoot revolvers, and that will lead to "short-stroking" and failure to cycle and fire in a revolver. It is, at best, a practice left to "action shooters" range types OR those who NEVER use a revolver of ANY type for defense. To my surprise, there are a great many younger folks, and almost all of the LE officers coming up these days, who have no experience with revolvers, including the skills to unload or decock a revolver safely. This is unfortunate, but a sign of the times and of my age.

The Shield and the LC9 work in a pocket holster equally well.

I think that's all I can remember. I hope it was helpful to you.

Last edited by shawn mccarver; 06-02-2013 at 11:47 AM.