Thread: SD40VE Parts
View Single Post

Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 5,261 Times in 1,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjuijui View Post
Thanks for the recs. I was considering some of those for my sd9ve, especially the extended take down lever. I am thinking that would be much better for my arthritic hands.
It does make it much easier to snag. If you are going to replace it yourself, the spring is not retained like it is in a Glock...I found this out as mine sailed across the kitchen. Before you take out the stock lever, pay attention to how the spring is oriented, just in case it gets away from you; I couldn't find any diagrams or illustrations, I don't own a Glock anymore, and I just couldn't see how it went in...so I took it to my gunsmith, and after they had a good laugh they put it back in...took about 2 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjuijui View Post
I am still considering whether to lighten my trigger pull. The first time I shot, I was a little discouraged. The second time, after many dry fires, I was much better but still not good. I shot it for the third time on Wed. after more dry fires, and my groupings were in the two inch range at 7 yards, three at 10 yards. For me this is good considering where I started. My problem is that my groupings are all in the nines or better, but some high, some right, some left, some low. If I shoot right on the bullseye, I am always low. I don't want to say this is a sight problem because it is probably my problem since I am low with my wife's sar b6p. But when I shot my son's Ruger SR9 (a very sweet gun btw imo for the price) I was all over the bullseye. He took the back sight and painted the dots orange and this makes the white front dot stand out. I need to find me someone that can watch me shoot and give me pointers, but that would probably be expensive. I have til the end of June to decide if I want to replace the sear spring from the sigmatrigger.com website and reduce the pull down to between 5.5 and 6.
The trigger doesn't seem all that bad to me, after shooting DA/SA revolvers and semi's, plus I don't use mine for a target pistol. In fact, I like that it has a heavy trigger since it doesn't have a thumb or grip safety. Also, I use mine primarily as a truck gun, and back up home defense gun. If I can achieve satisfactory accuracy at defense ranges, then I am satisfied with it, and I don't plan to modify the trigger on it. But, that is just me.

There are a lot of factors that can contribute to accuracy. Does your range have a range officer? If not, then other experienced shooters at the range might be willing to shoot it for you (who wouldn't want to burn up your ammo?) and you can see what results they get. Your sights may be off...it may be your grip...it may be that you are pulling the gun off target due to the heavy trigger...it may be anticipatory flinch. If you shoot better with a different gun, though, it probably isn't your technique in general, as much as it is relative to this specific gun. This just may not be the gun for you...and the SR9/SR9c is a great pistol.