View Single Post

Old 06-06-2013, 10:33 PM

Liked 6,933 Times in 2,349 Posts

Great Story, for a short period of time I had my hands on a very early serial number Blackhawk in 30 carbine. To my memory it is still the most accurate handgun I ever fired, I remember busting bowling pins with it at well over 100 yards, untuned as it came out of the box, shooting old milsurp ammo. I've never been able to duplicate that with any other pistol, not at that range. I always figured it was that extra long barrel and what was probably the optimum range for the 30 carbine round, we never paced it off but it was easily a city block. I remember years later a buddy and I that had shot the pistol were shooting the bull with another guy that was a well known "know it all" and I remember telling the guy that with less than three fouling shots I could hit the traffic lights better than a block away, he laughed and I told him I'd put money on it, my buddy told the guy about the bowling pin adventure and the guy backed off. The way that pistol shot at that range is the only way I've ever been able to believe that a guy like old Elmer could shoot a deer at 600yds and even he walked the rounds into his target.