View Single Post

Old 06-07-2013, 11:02 AM

Liked 34,020 Times in 3,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcl View Post
I've often wondered why ALL police cruisers don't have some sort of armor either embedded within or attached to the outside of both front doors of the vehicle. Maybe even thicker glass on the door windows.
Ok, cost.
I don't see how it could be any more expensive than all the other gear & gadgets on the typical cruiser. Even so, would it not be worth it for the officers to have at least some measure of protection in such a scenario?

If there'd be no space within the car door for armor....then the doors outside could perhaps be made of 1/8" steel instead the typical "soda-pop-can" metal seen on the average car.

Russ
You are right, cost is the issue which prevents the typical police cruiser from having at least some armor in the doors.

Now, if someone could invent a way where police cruiser door armor could be modular in such a way that it could be rather easily uninstalled when the car is removed from service (i.e., traded in) and reinstalled economically on the next car, that inventor would be our next millionare.