View Single Post

Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 AM

Liked 118 Times in 59 Posts

Thank you! I realize it is only speculation, but it appears that the "round" and "square" notations were likely to be a rubber stamp, whereas the grease pencil changes seem to be limited to barrel length and finish.

The doubt that remains in regard to that conclusion rests on the fact that those end labels with the rubber stamp noting "round" and "square" do not have a pre-printed butt configuration already on the end label. In the case of the early alloy-cylinder Chiefs Special "Aluminum" end labels, the "round" was pre-printed, so when the relatively scarce square butt alloy-cylinder guns came along, it seems unlikely that there was a pre-printed end label showing "square."

Whether and how an "Aluminum" end label with "round" pre-printed was altered to designate a square butt gun remains a puzzle until someone comes up with a square butt alloy-cylinder Chiefs Special Airweight original RED box. (I have a dark gray-black Chiefs Special Airweight Square Butt end label "Ray" box, but its serial number is in the 40,000 range as I recall without checking, whereas my square butt alloy-cylinder Chiefs Special Airweight is in the 29,000 range.)

I realize that there are only supposedly 900 (I think it is) square butt alloy-cylinder Chiefs Special Airweight guns, but here in the center of the Smith & Wesson Universe, surely there has to be at least ONE still in its original box. Is there?