View Single Post

Old 06-10-2013, 11:46 AM

Liked 26,311 Times in 9,122 Posts

Definition of Hoarder: Someone that thought ahead better than you. The guys that re-market tight supply items at a big markup: People without friends, and often stuck with over priced stuff they can't get rid of. I use to do gun shows, one of my rules was "Don't buy anything in quantity you can't use yourself." When I quit because of aggressive local tax law enforcement and over aggressive ATF on individuals (STINGS) I still have a lifetime supply of certain sizes of plastic ammo boxes, and military ammo strippers. But ammo I bought to resell 15 years ago is still good to sell anytime I want (2 months ago I got out ammo for a friend and found Winchester white box 9mm that I was selling @ $5 and making a little on, it went into the wife's stash!) I think it will be nice to see Jerks stuck with $50+/1000 small pistol primers (I'm seeing WLP at $30/1000 for 5 weeks now, even Cabela's is $37.50) There is profit (never a bad word) and there is profiteering. On powder, well I always try to keep a supply of 2 to 3 years use on hand, It is a little low right now but I have my 2015 supplies on order. The problem comes when I buy a new discipline's rifle or shotgun and need a new set of components, lots of times I trade. On Jan. 3, 2006 I lost my job, in 2 weeks I sold $800 worth of primers, that paid my heat for the winter. Last May (2012) I lost that job and am still without permenite employment (short term contracting has been great).When things get to tight I sell some components, when things are flush I buy lots. Last summer I sold my "strategic reserve" of lead for casting, I've had it for about 25 years and made good money on it. I'll just have to find a deal some day. There are always substitute powders for reloading, I prefer WW231 for pistol but my sub is Clays, on shotgun I prefer Blue Dot for 28 gauge but my sub is Unique. My problem now is the LGS want almost $50 bag of shot. I see that I have some choices; 1) pay it, 2) shoot less or something else, 3) buy factory ammo (God forbid!), 4) trade or find/make a deal. There may even be more options. I can tell you this; as long as I'm physically able, I'll be shooting!!! Ivan
The Following User Likes This Post: