View Single Post

Old 06-16-2013, 05:04 PM

Liked 1,326 Times in 723 Posts
Default Ruger 3" SA Bearcat Shopkeeper - Review

If you're like me and have a 'thing' for 3" tubes, then here's one you might want to check out.

Ruger is currently building a special edition Ruger New Bearcat "Shopkeeper". It has a 3" barrel, .22lr, is single action (of course), and sports a rounded "birds head" grip.

I got mine a couple months ago and have had it out to the range three times. It is as accurate as you'd expect. I'd say it is more accurate than 'The Mighty Bobcat' or the NAA Mini I used to have. Equally accurate as my Ruger SR22p. But less accurate than my S&W M34-1 with it's 4" barrel or my Ruger MkII's. Again - which one would expect.

I do get the occasional 'light strike' which I think is due to not fully seating the round in the chamber. I only had it happen a very few times and it's only after 50-100+ rounds in a session. There was noticeable 'gunk' in the recess, so I don't think it's a design issue. Similar issue as I'd have in my 34-1.

A couple unique featers which I'll highlight: the extractor tab is crescent shaped (see pics) so that it fits over the cylinder-retention-shaft (probably not the right name for it, again - see pics). The ejector rod housing is stainless steel on this one and not cheap aluminum as it is on the regular stainless Bearcat. I consider that a 'big deal' as the stainless one for the standard Bearcat will run you $50+. The extractor rod itself is just a tad too short to fully eject the spent casings. But here's the deal; as you can see if you look closely in the pic - mine is slightly offset so that it catches the case mouth of the spent cartridge. In practice the casings eject without any problems.

Out of the box my copy had, what I thought, was some excessive 'spitting' of crud out of the forcing cone area. I sent it back and Ruger (I think) decreased the gap. The problem is no worse now than any other .22lr revolver I've ever shot. They also replaced a 'boogered up' screw and replaced the left grip which didn't fit the frame so well.

They're not cheap; the MSRP on this cute little gun - and it is just the cutest thing you ever saw - is $649 and they appear to be selling for that in the closed auctions on gunbroker - so I guess I'd believe that. However I picked mine up for closer to $500ish. So they ain't cheap, but only a bit more than a new stainless Bearcat would run you. I saw a second one at my LGS a month later for $529 plus tax.

In summary: I would recommend the Ruger New Bearcat Shopkeeper with it's 3" barrel in .22lr for anybody who's into 3" tubes and likes really unique, collectible, and especially "cute" revolvers.

Well, apparently, I'm attaching these pics as thumbnails because photobucket isn't cooperating with me today. I will repost the pics properly once I get my photobucket figured out. Right now I have to go visit my dad;

Happy Father's Day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7249.jpg (99.5 KB, 1226 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7252.jpg (125.2 KB, 975 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7254.jpg (90.6 KB, 988 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7256.jpg (85.5 KB, 982 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7259.jpg (106.9 KB, 909 views)

Last edited by M3Stuart; 06-16-2013 at 05:16 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: