View Single Post

Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 AM

Liked 1,170 Times in 549 Posts
Default What about Free-Travel clearance

So if setback is caused by factors such as the nose of the round running up the ramp as the slide pushes the round into the chamber - what about any kinetic effects on the projectile as the case mouth hits the end of the chamber and nothing but the barrel is front of the bullet? Might there be enough kinetic energy to cause the bullet to move forward in the case? Or would the base of the projectile hit the lands and grooves in the barrel also contributing to possible setback?

the pic is not from a handgun - but has lots of info that might be relevant here

So far the only times I have removed and reused an unfired round was during function testing and some cleaning/adjusting - and while I have kept loaded magazines in the firearms in my bedside safe - I have not been keeping a round chambered - that may change in a couple days when I get my concealed carry permit. Still thinking through the options - my most likely carry weapon for now will be a Bodyguard 380 which has a slide lock safety - so I am thinking either loaded chamber safety on - or unloaded chamber safety off - either way only one step to be ready to fire. Might change after getting comfortable with carry method (IWB, appendix, etc). The M&P 45 is a bit bulky for concealed - also looking at possible 9mm compact options.