View Single Post

Old 06-18-2013, 10:42 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,113 Times in 4,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcwsky09 View Post
So if setback is caused by factors such as the nose of the round running up the ramp as the slide pushes the round into the chamber - what about any kinetic effects on the projectile as the case mouth hits the end of the chamber and nothing but the barrel is front of the bullet?
Never heard of anything like this in a pistol. I doubt there is enough inertia at work to pull a bullet from a cartridge as the pistol's slide returns to battery.

I am from the school that tries not to re-use ammo that has been cycled into the chamber and then extracted later. I also agree with the poster who said the gun is designed to load a cartridge from the magazine, not "snap" the extractor over the rim of a cartridge that has been dropped into the chamber.

Using previously chambered rounds for range practice still presents the same danger of setback and an over-pressure incident, it is just present in a less threatening environment. Since I hate to tear down really expensive ammo, my rule of thumb is to fire the cartridge at the range only if it has been previously chambered once. If it has been chambered twice, it gets torn or saved for firing in revolvers (9mm and .45) - further proof of my inherent cheapness.