View Single Post

Old 06-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Banned

Liked 192 Times in 140 Posts
Default Need a 1950s back up vehicle

My last super reliable vehicle was my 1975 ford van. It has solid state ignition so no ignition points to replace.

Later my wife’s 1978 Dodge Saint Regis had me worried until I found out the only thing that big computer did was advance the spark. If the computer was to fail you would have a lot less power but you still could get home. So when it finally died and I could not find the problem I took the thermoquad carburetor apart about 4 times because of a rumor the foam carburetor floats sometimes soak up gas and get heavy. My brother (who had spent many hours working on cars with our mechanic father) kept asking me if I had taken the distributor cap off yet. I kept telling him there is nothing in there but a rotor. Finally I took the distributor cap off and it looked like very corroded battery cables in there? (I never figured that out) Cleaned it out and it was back on the road.

But then all the safety features and smog stuff invaded our tranquility. One guy hit a bump on the way over the mountains to Reno and his car went dead. He had a big towing bill to Reno. In his trunk was an accident fuel-pump cut-off button he needed to push. Electric fuel pumps could cause car fires in accidents where keys were not turned off. So any hard bump cut off the fuel. (Never buy any vehicles made in the 1980’s).
Another guy could drive about one block then his car would die. He could then start it and drive another block. He had one broken spark plug wire. The raw gas that went into exhaust tripped the sensor sending a signal to the carburetor to thin out the mixture. When that failed it would signal to thin out more, until his car starved out in about a block.

Everyone needs a 1936 Chevrolet in the garage for emergencies. 1950s were even better.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: