View Single Post

Old 06-19-2013, 06:10 PM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

Reloading components are now becoming fairly easy to find, even primers are making a re-appearance. Last time Natchez go in a shipment of primers they had small pistol primers in stock for more than a week.

About the only item still difficult to find is brass, some calibers just aren't available almost anywhere you look with 9mm being the worst. However, a lot of shooting ranges will sell you unsorted brass for about 3 dollars a pound if you ask, so with a bit of work you can scrounge up some once fired brass.

As for ready made ammunition I'm seeing indications that the shortage is easing. One indication is that there are more reports about Walmart having ammo in stock. Another indication is that those greedy dealers asking a buck or more per round for 9mm range fodder are getting a lot of lookers but not many sales. I figure another month or two and we'll see prices for ammo at gun shows starting to drop. Basically, I think that most of the hoarders are tapped out financially and aren't buying like they were a month ago.

Bad news is that once this panic ends I do not expect to see prices return to where they were before this panic. IMO assembled ammunition will end up costing 10-15% more than a year ago and I've seen some indications that 40 dollars may be the new price point for a box of 1000 primers.