View Single Post

Old 06-21-2013, 11:51 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Just figured I would post some good news for a change. As I stated in my earlier post, I purchased my BodyGuard 380 new,..... recently, about 4 weeks ago now, Serial number KAJ XXXX. I have done only a couple of things to mine, Polished the barrel feed ramp until it has a smooth as glass surface, put XS Big Dot Tritium sights on it, and upgraded my magazines to the plus one capacity Mag Guts parts kit so my magazines hold 7 rounds instead of 6. Today, after having put close to almost 500 rounds through the gun previously, with no FTE's or FTF's, or any other issues, I tried to get the gun to fail. I dry fired it about 40 to 45 times, I put all kinds of different types of ammo, hollow point and FMJ and I changed up between Silvertips, Critical Defense, Speer, Federal, Remington and even some Tul Ammo and Wolf WPA steel cased, into the magazines for range use. I even used a buddy of mine's Pro Mag 10 round magazine, and changed up rounds of different types in the same magazine. The gun never jammed or failed to perform, not one time. Ejected cases were strong and up and over to the right. And I never cleaned the gun during another 125 rounds. Something I never do, just to try and see, I picked up a small amount of fine dirt, poured into the chamber and on top of the magazine to simulate a very dirty condition mechanically, fired both magazines, and again ZERO failures. Of course I gave the gun a complete detailed strip down and cleaning afterwards and inspected all parts. No concerns or issues after inspection.

With all the issues reported on this model from the past from other owners, I wanted to make sure I had a "keeper". Looks like I will be keeping this one and with this kind of reliability, I have no problems carrying this gun as a summertime pocket concealed piece. The Critical Defense Rounds have great penetration in my solid 6"x6" wood post backdrop on my targets as that is my bullet of choice for carry ammo.

I had been thinking of trading for a new Sig P238 Nitron after I first bought this gun and heard all of the story's. But really, for a pocket gun especially for summer time concealed carry, the weight is perfect, and I actually prefer the heavy trigger pull, which has lightened up somewhat after breaking in. Don't know if I will ever use the laser, haven't yet, and I still find it curious that the LAPD has this gun on the approved back-up carry list, but with two major changes. 1) The LAPD have access to a police version of the BodyGuard 380 that DOES NOT HAVE A EXTERNAL SAFETY. 2) The LAPD department armorer's must deactivate or remove the laser before returning the gun to active off-duty use. Officers must purchase the BG380's with personal funds, as the department does not supply the firearm or 380 ammunition. The only approved ammunition is Critical Defense 380 rounds.