View Single Post

Old 06-27-2013, 02:16 PM
US Veteran

Liked 301 Times in 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I've gotten some good opinions on this site regarding the Buffalo Bore 38 +P 158 gr lead semi wad cutter hollow point in a S&W 642. Thanks to all.

I ordered a box and took my 642 to the range today to see for myself how it handled. DAMN!

The 642 is my preferred carry. I use the two finger grip because of its concealability. I was hoping the B.B. 158 grain wad cutter would give the snubby some extra velocity and punch.

There can be too much of a good thing.

The recoil in that little light frame was overwhelming. A quick follow up shot was out of the question. I'm 6'1", 230 lbs and have been shooting all kinds of weapons for 45 years. This ammo was too much for me to feel confident about use in a critical situation if more than one shot is required. I'm afraid the power and slug weight is mismatched to the 642.

I use other Buffalo Bore ammo and love it in my .45, 9mm and .380.

This .38 ammo might better be great in a K frame or some weapon heavier than the J frame. For me, I'll stick to Federal Premium Hydra Shok +P 129 grain JHP in the 642.
Try the 20C (standard pressure) load; it's specifically made for shooting in Airweight® guns. Recoil is not a problem for me with this load.