View Single Post

Old 06-29-2013, 08:19 PM

Liked 13,083 Times in 4,167 Posts

First a disclaimer: I'm not a 9mm fan I like the 45acp

That said, all the gee whiz ammo in the world won't make a 9 a 45. After all, what you're trying to do is to get a 9 mm projectile to make a 45 cal hole.

The 9 mm is about as effective as a 38 special in one shot stops- making the bad guy stop doing the bad things he's doing (Colonel Cooper's research found about a 50% stop with 38's and 9's: 90% with the 45).

The bad things have to be bad enough so stopping him from doing them justifies the possibility that stopping him may eventually result in his loss of life.

We don't shoot to kill. We shoot to stop

Cooper came up with a relative index that used momentum (mass X velocity) and a factor for diameter of projectile that corresponds very well with observed results.

You don't get the published velocity with short barrels.

None of this matters if you don't hit what you're shooting at.

You're best served using the ammo you shoot a lot. I'd rather use cheap fmj ammo I've shot 1,000 rounds in MY pistol and know I can shoot well than some gee whiz stuff I don't shoot much.

By the way, what ever ammo you use, be sure you're gun will reliably function with it. If you haven't put 100 rounds of that ammo through your pistol with NO problem, don't use it!

You ammo must work in YOUR pistol, not my pistol, not someone else's pistol. There IS a difference. If your pistol won't reliably function, you have a high priced, light weight blunt instrument.

Use the ammo you shoot a lot, shoot well and that always works. Forget about trying to make your 9 into something it isn't.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: