View Single Post

Old 07-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Liked 48,746 Times in 9,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo44 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by handejector View Post
In the SUMMER of 1914, the Brits had asked S&W if they could build .455 revolvers. S&W built a .455 TL and sent it to them.
Lee,
Does this then negate the shipping date for the 1st 33 .455 TLs of April 8th, 1912 or is that a typo in Neal and Jinks?
It has to be a typo. Note that the story about the sample sent in the summer is from the later book by Roy. War began 7-28-14, and England entered the war 8-4-14. England contacted S&W stating they needed guns immediately and would accept the "sample style (TL)". However, In History of, Roy states that the first ordered guns were not ready till Sept 24!!!
Personally, I'd have been quite nervous if I had to wait from Aug 4 till early Oct(shipping time included) for my gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo44 View Post
Also, if one has a gun with one of the 68 duplicated #s in the first 666 .44 1st Model 455s, is there any way to know if they have a .44 1st Model .455 or .455 1st Model? Both guns are .455 TLs!
I doubt there is any way to know. How could we? How could Roy know when not even seeing the gun?
We need to ask Roy if he has lettered any. I bet he has.
I would SURMISE that he merely points out that there could be two with that number when/if he letters one of the 68 that could be duplicated.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: