Thread: Chattanooga
View Single Post

Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 PM

Liked 17,296 Times in 6,647 Posts

Once again the replies from forum members are incredible. Thanks.

A couple of random replies to comments, without quoting the comments.

No, we're not at all tied to living IN a city. We'd like to live near one. Currently we're 20 miles south of Boston. Depending on traffic that's anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour travel time.

The town we're in has about 25,000 or so. It's off of a state highway and has good access to Boston and Providence, RI.

I hate traffic! 34 years of working in Boston and I hate red lights, stop signs, pedestrian crossing, and taking an hour to drive a mile.

Memphis is out. I wouldn't go near the place based on what I've heard, read, and seen. The only reason we're going there is that my wife likes Elvis and has long wanted to see Graceland. I have an acquaintance who owns several apartment buildings there. He never goes there and has a management company to run it for him. He says it's a sewer and I have no reason to doubt him. Memphis is about the same size as Boston with about twice the homicide rate. Yech.

We picked Nashville because of the Grand Ole Opry, Country Music HOF, music row, etc... I've become a big fan of classic country music the last several years and want to see where so much of it was made. We'll probably stop in to look at Antique Archeology just because we like the show. I like Danielle, except for the tattoos. Well built, brunette, pretty face... She doesn't run that store, but she seems to be there fairly often.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind going to Bristol if we were to move down there. Back before it was cool, in the 1960s and '70s I was one of the few Yankees who liked NASCAR. OK, I was one of the few who even knew what NASCAR was.

Guns are part of my calculus. I was only half kidding a year or so ago when my son asked me where I wanted to retire to. I said, "Somewhere that I can walk out onto my back porch and shoot." Right now I live ten minutes from my range and there is one that is two minutes away. I want something like that, preferably with a nice outdoor range. I don't know how much my wife will end up shooting, but I want her to have the option as well.

We're thinking retirement. Right now we're on either side of 60 and both still working. Within 3-5 years, probably closer to 5, we plan to stop that, sell our house here, and move somewhere. I loved growing up in MA and it's a nice place as far as geography, scenery, and attractions go. I've come to hate winter, so I want somewhere that has much milder winters. I've also come to detest the politics, but TN seems better in that regard. As Zell Miller would say, "I didn't leave Massachusetts, Massachusetts left me."

So, we're looking for a lower cost area that still has nice houses. We don't need anything huge. Two bedrooms, two baths, eat in kitchen, living room, den, and a car port or garage. Some of the houses I looked at have basements and I like that, but it's not a deal breaker. A nice quiet side street in a good area. Good bicycle riding area would be nice since I hope to still be riding in a few years.

If we move, I'll bring my own wife, so I'll be a Damned Yankee, but not a GD Yankee.

Chattanooga proper seems to have a significant crime rate for a city of it's size. A lot of property crimes, but some robberies and other violent crimes. If I moved to the area my house would have a good alarm and I'd be armed whenever possible. Then again, my house here has a good alarm and I'm armed whenever possible.

We'll definitely use a broker if we decide to move. I won't bother this time since it's a scouting trip, not a buy a house trip.